At Vidyard, we are always striving to provide the most accurate and comprehensive analytics for our customer’s great videos. Over the last 6 months, Vidyard has grown a lot, and so has the amount of information that we gather and process. Lately, this has led us to reconsider some fundamental questions about how we should report clear information to our users.
Some of these fundamental questions are:
- What really constitutes the viewing of a video? What constitutes multiple views?
- How does Vidyard reliably capture analytics for people that quickly leave your website?
- What other new, exciting data can we surface in our analytics?
What really constitutes the viewing of a video?
Different video providers calculate a view in different ways. We have researched a variety of approaches and believe that the following viewer interactions constitute one or more views:
A viewer comes to your site and:
- Presses play on your video (this counts as one view).
- Is automatically served a video through autoplay (this counts as one view).
- Watches a video until the end, then presses play again (this counts as two views).
- Watches a video until the end, then is served the video again if looping is enabled (this counts as two views).
The following interactions do not count as additional views:
- Seeking to another point in a video.
- Pausing and then unpausing a video. (Please note that we were previously considering this another view and so you may notice a change in your numbers due to our recalculation.)
How does Vidyard reliably capture analytics for people that quickly leave your website?
Moving forward from today, Vidyard will be capturing analytics more reliably than ever before. We’ve refined our method of data capture to ensure we’re optimized for browser compatibility and data accuracy. Customers may see a change in their analytics, this is simply to ensure that we’re following the conventions discussed above, giving accurate data according to our user’s expectations.
What other new, exciting data can we surface in our analytics?
Vidyard collects much more information from video interactions than we currently surface in our dashboard analytics. We want to provide you with as many awesome, actionable analytics as possible, so we are very excited about the new Vidyard Analytics Center currently under development.
Stay tuned, in the next couple of months we are going to release many more graphs, metrics and insightful data points; enabling you to even more successfully track, measure and customize your online video strategy.