Video for businesses isn’t going away. In 2020, there was a huge upsurge in video creation, and it’s stayed high ever since. And it’s working: 93% of people say that video converts the same or better than other forms of content.
Video is everywhere…and you need a plan for how you’re going to use it.
Welcome to our sixth annual Video in Business Benchmark Report! This study analyzes the videos that users created and uploaded to Vidyard’s video platform in 2022.
The findings you’re about to read are based on first-hand data collected from a sample of Vidyard customers. We looked at behaviors and trends for over 1,778,000 videos.
Businesses are making more videos than ever. Video creation increased by 29% compared to last year. Over 1.77 million videos were created or uploaded using Vidyard in 2022. (In 2021, that number was 1.38 million.)
So what are the most popular ways to create videos? We categorize videos into two types: “User-generated” and “produced.” (See Definitions below for more information.)
In 2022, 72% of videos created were user-generated. The remaining 28% were produced.
This means that user-generated video continues to be hugely popular. That’s a trend we’ve seen over the past few years, and we don’t see it slowing down anytime soon.
User-Generated Videos: Made by individuals using Vidyard’s creation tools. They use their device’s webcam or screen (or both!) to record.
Produced Videos: Created outside of the Vidyard environment, then uploaded to the platform for hosting and distribution.
These three industries are creating the most videos:
Certain industries saw big gains in how many videos they’re creating:
In financial services, success is all about building trust with clients. Video’s a great way to make that critical face-to-face connection, even at a distance.
These three industries are creating the most user-generated videos:
User-generated video is on the rise. Here’s a look at which industries are investing in this type of video:
These three industries are creating the most produced videos:
In last year’s edition of this report, all industries (except two) created fewer produced videos than they did the year before. However, this year, all industries (except two) are creating more produced videos.
Here’s a rundown of the industries with the biggest gains this year:
Here’s how video creation rates stack up in each company size bracket.
Companies with 0-30 employees are creating 5% more videos. (77% of those videos are user-generated.)
Companies with 31-200 employees are creating 28% more videos. (80% of those videos are user-generated.)
Companies with 201-600 employees are creating 27% more videos. (79% of those videos are user-generated.)
Companies with 601-5000 employees are creating 22% fewer videos. (73% of those videos are user-generated.)
Companies with 5000+ employees are creating 55% more videos. (61% of those videos are user-generated.)
Smaller companies love user-generated videos. It’s low-cost, low-lift, and high-impact—a perfect fit for limited resources.
And now big enterprises are getting in on the party, too. Word is out about how user-generated video helps establish relationships and trust. Those are things that every company needs to do, regardless of its headcount.
Marketing teams are primarily investing in these three types of video:
Prospective customers want to do their own research and draw their own conclusions, all at their own pace. These three types of video are the perfect fit for the form that the buyer’s journey takes these days.
In order for companies to make these types of videos, their marketing and sales teams need to be in close alignment. What buyer questions do sales reps get most? What are the proof points that sales teams use to win over prospects? Marketing can build this info straight into new video content, answering questions and squashing objections before buyers ever talk to a sales rep.
These are the three most popular ways that sales reps utilize user-generated video:
Here’s how video is most commonly used, broken down by role:
When it comes to outbound prospecting, Account Executives and Customer Success reps get more responses to their videos than BDRs or SDRs do. The stronger the relationship between the rep and the customer, the more likely the customer is to respond to the video.
Across all videos analyzed, the average video length is 15 minutes and 31 seconds. (Last year, it was 9:58.)
Here’s how video length breaks down across all length brackets:
53% of viewers will watch a video all the way through to the end.
Here’s how retention scales across multiple video lengths:
Discover the B2B video benchmarks you need to know to stand out in 2023 and beyond and explore Vidyard's Video in Business Benchmark Report.